Eyelash Extensions have exploded this last year and will continue in 2017. They are long and fluffy, and you always look wide awake and ready to take on the day. They save so much time in the morning! I had them before and loved them! I always felt so pretty! But as someone who sleeps on their face, they just weren’t for me! Even though I wish that I could have them again!
But I decided to talk to my good friend, and licensed aesthetician, Andrea. Some examples of her work through this post! See below to her answers to my questions!
Let’s start with what is your background – how long have you been doing lashes and why do you like it?
I had lashes many times before so I knew of the impact the have on your face and overall self-esteem; I just could NOT picture myself sitting there for two hours gluing on hairs to someones hairs!! And there is was tweezers in hand, eyes glued to the tiniest little area of the face.
My first session took 3.5 hours and I got 11 lashes on each eye… now that might not seem like much (because it’s not) but I was among the girls who were “fast”. Ok proudest moment: I heard my teacher talking to a classmate, she pointed over to my station saying “you need so slow down it takes practice, see this girl here had every lash perfectly in place. She couldn’t have gotten them closer” UGH so proud. “ME?!?” Well, I won’t let a compliment like that go to waste! I practiced and little by little my 11 little lashes in 3.5 hours became 150 lashes in 2.5 hours, and I was officially certified with Minkys.
Now with that said here are the basics:
- Lash extensions are not damaging; some argue they are even better for your lashes!
- There is zero fussing with mascara or makeup remover.
- You must brush and clean them every day!
- Extensions are going to be different for everyone; you can only lash if there is a lash to lash! (sorry way to fun) meaning the extensions are attached to the hairs, NOT THE LID! They won’t work if you don’t have any lashes there.
- ONE extension to ONE natural lash
- Each set is personalized to the individual; what that natural set of lashes can handle and the needs of the client BUT the health of the lashes comes first. “Sorry honey, not everyone can sport a Kim K.”
- Most people can go up to 3 weeks between fills. Most Techs will offer a 2-week fill as well, and you will keep them fuller all month long it just might cost a tiny bit more overall.
- Fills are not based on the amount of weeks that have gone by, but how many lashes you have lost… so if you lost all but 10 lashes in 3 weeks it’s still going to be a full set when you go in, but think about it… it’s way more work!
- A full set can take from 2-2.5 hours and fills are generally half that, everyone is different.
- Trust your lash tech!
How should one properly care for lash extensions?
You will most likely get a little spooly to brush them with, do so twice a day or more if you get bored! Be sure you keep oily products away from them, anything that says oil free is your new friend. Wash them gently with an oil free cleaner or even wish water while in the shower 🙂 Clean lashes are happy lashes! Dust oil and dirt can get stuck in there is you are not careful and that can cause bacteria and may lead to infection, all which would be bad things!
Have you had lashes before? Are you considering them and need any help? Comment below!